Basingstoke Canal Society Chairman has issued the following letter updating on the status of the canal and calling for new volunteers.
I am asking for your help in protecting our wonderful canal
You will be aware that the Canal faces a major challenge in that the councils have severe budgetary constraints and discussions are underway as to how to fund and manage the Canal going forward. However in the meantime it becomes all the more important for members to help us support the canal :
• by raising the profile of the canal and getting the Community and local businesses fully involved
• by helping to promote and raise funds for our improvement projects for the benefit of walkers, canoeists, cyclists and other boat owners
So how can you help? Quite simply we particularly need support on:
1. Local Events: we need help to organise and/or man the stand at local events (see below). In particular we urgently need help in organising our annual Raft Race in Odiham on 1st September
2. Marketing and Promotional ideas: we need ideas and initiatives to involve the local community. Lots of you have experience in this area so please give us a call and tell us what you may be able to do
3. Fundraising: we are looking for support in attracting donations and legacies and finding fresh ways of raising funds
4. Planning and Projects: work as part of a team to help put in place some of our exciting projects
5. Boat Bookings: we urgently need help on bookings and handling enquiries. This can be flexible working from home as part of a team
We have lots of other volunteer roles available but the above are critical to help us protect and develop the canal. All of the roles are extremely flexible, and working as part of a team it is great fun and very rewarding
I cannot overstate that it is vital that we get the support – we had fantastic volunteer input during the 20 years that it took to restore the canal and we need that support now. Without it our beautiful Canal will be at risk. So please let us know how you can help
To find out more about helping with the above please email email@example.com or ring 07850 652769
We look forward to hearing from you
Basingstoke Canal Society"
The next Parish Council meeting will be Monday 18th March 2019. The meeting will be held in the Village Hall and start at the usual time of 6.00 pm.
The agenda for the meeting will be issued by the end of Wednesday 13th March
Deptford Lane will be closed to allow for BT works from 11th March 2019 for approx. one week.
If you have any queries regarding the above please contact A-plant Lux Traffic Control on 03701 050 0792 or Hampshire County Council on 0300 555 1388.